01 02 03 Perfecting the Homefront: Vanity Stool Make Over 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Vanity Stool Make Over

Hey all, I am finally posting again! It has been a little on the crazy side over the past few months (which I am pretty sure I said in my last post) and it just keeps on going! My husband left for his fifth deployment, and I have been working a lot lately, so I haven't had a lot of time to do anything. Anywho, enough about that!

I have a great project for you all today. I have recently been searching for a vanity area in my bedroom since the new apartment doesn't have much room in the bathroom. Needless to say that everything I looked at was a little pricey! I will share how I made the vanity later but for now I am going to walk you through this vanity stool makeover.

I searched and searched and couldn't find anything that I liked enough to fork out the money for so I started looking for a fixer upper. A friend of mine told me about a little place that has a lot of cute vintage things. I thought I would check it out to see if they had anything in my budget. Lucky for me they did! For $20 I picked up this adorable vanity stool....

It wasn't horrible to begin with but it just wasn't my style. My house is greys and whites and this stool was tan and off white. No way was it matching. However, I knew with a little elbow grease it would be perfect. 

After bringing it home I went to Lowes and picked up some spray paint and then ran by JoAnns for the other supplies I needed. 

The stool didn't have a lot of padding so I wanted to add a bit more, you can skip that step if you want. I had a coupon and they had foam and batting on sale for super cheap! I also looked through the fabric at JoAnns that is already cut into squares and found this adorable print for only about $1.50. Score! I spent under $10 on all my supplies which was great! Here is what you will need:

1. Spray paint
2. Staple gun
3. Fabric
4. Screw driver
5. Foam and batting (optional)

First thing I did was unscrew the seat from the metal and took off the burlap that was on top.  I sadly did not take a picture of what was underneath which was a REALLY old pattern. I also forgot to take a picture of the foam I cut out. (Apparently I was anxious to get this done) Once the seat is removed cut the foam using the seat as a template. The correct way is probably to use a speciality knife but I didn't want to spend the money so I used a really large kitchen knife and it worked out just fine. It was a little rough around the edges but that won't matter once you add the batting. Once the foam is cut you can cut the batting still using the wooden seat as a template. Make sure you have plenty extra to staple down. Once that is done I laid the batting on the floor, the foam on top of that, and then the seat. Make sure everything is lined up and start stapling! Start with one side and put a few staples in and then go straight across and do the opposite side. This will insure it stays straight. 

Once secure do the same with the fabric. After I got the fabric down I trimmed off the excess and done!.... With the seat anyways.

With the frame all I did was clean it up, took it outside and spray painted it the color I wanted. It took a few coats to get into all the cracks and curves but I love how it turned out! Once dried screw the seat back on and you are done! 

It really pays to look past color and fabric that you may not like and look at the shape and what it can become. 
35 36 37 38