01 02 03 Perfecting the Homefront: Create a Farmhouse Window! 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Create a Farmhouse Window!

34
I am back with the second half of our DIY shiplap and farmhouse window project! The first post ended up being pretty long so I decided to split it into two parts. If you missed the first part on how to do shiplap on a budget you can find that HERE. This post is focusing on how we did our farmhouse window frames. Our idea was to add shiplap and originally we were going to do a basic frame around the windows but after doing a lot of research we realized that upgrading to the farmhouse window look wouldn't be hard at all! Seriously guys, its much easier then you think, it just takes time. Its all straight cuts except for the window sill. Let me walk you through what we did!


First thing we did was put up the shiplap. You could do the windows first and do the shiplap second (and that might actually be a better way to do it) but either way would work. We probable ended up doing some extra caulking this way but it worked out. 

I also want to start by saying we researched several blogs on how people did this and I wanted to give them credit. The main one we followed was Love Grows Wild. This is the look we ended up going with. The other one which helped figure out the window sill was Funky Junk Interiors.  I didn't take as detailed of pictures as I thought so definitely check out these posts if I miss anything. 

So let me tell me what we did and the materials we used. Here is a list of the size pieces we used. 

Window sill: 1x5 (this one will depend on the depth of your sill)
Side pieces: 1x4
The apron (bottom piece): 1x4
The four pieces for the top are (from bottom to top): 1x2, 1x6, 1x2, 1x3

You will also need a nail gun, nails, caulk, and wood putty. 

I can give you the dimension of the pieces but of course every window is going to be a different size. You will have to measure the height and width to get those measurements. Now that you have all the pieces lets start putting them together. 

The first step is the window sill. We measured the depth of the sill and we wanted it to stick out from the wall about 2 inches. For that we used a 1x5 (again this will be different for your window so measure from the back to where it sticks out 2 inches). Next we measured the length. We measured across and had each side go 4 inches past the window. Once we had those measurements my husband measured and drew it out on the wood and used a jigsaw to cut it out. I did not take a picture of this (blogger fail) but heres a little drawing of what I mean. (Ignore the Christmas background haha)


Make sure you do this step first because the side pieces will sit on top of the sill. once you get this cut place it in the window and nail into place. Any gaps will be caulked later. The next step is the side pieces (1x4's). Measure from the top of the window sill to the top of the window to get the height. A little tip is once you cut these hold them in place and place the top piece on to make sure the height is where you need it to be. Because of the shiplap underneath we had to make sure the top piece covered the edges so we did a dry run before nailing the sides into place. This also is a good way to make sure it will be level.  I hope that made sense! Once you get those cut nail them up! 




The next step is the first piece on top (1x2). We measured it so it would stick out about 1/2 inch on each side past the side pieces. Then you place it on its side and nailed into place. Again I didn't take a step by step picture of the top (sorry). Its pretty simple though. From there we measured the 1x6 to match up with the side pieces, nailed that on. Then another 1x2 (same length as the first). The very top piece is a 1x3 and is cut a 1/2 inch past the 1x2. Just layer and nail into place. We had some problems in the bedroom because the ceiling is a little lower so fitting the nail gun was a little hard. You can layer and nail the top pieces together before putting it on the wall to make it easier if that works for you. 



The final piece is the bottom (1x4). This is the same length as the 1x6 on top so it will match up with the edge of the side pieces. Center and nail into place. 





Once all the pieces are nailed up we caulked all the edges, patched the nail holes, and used putty on the seams inside the frame. This is what took the longest! We wanted the shiplap to be rustic and we left the nails holes, but for the windows we wanted a more finished look. I actually still need to do one more layer of putty inside all the frames to finish it off. 



These are the only pictures I am in because lets be honest, when I am doing projects I am in a baggy t-shirt, baggy sweats, and the hair is a mess! Not cute at all! 






After that drys, sand everything down to make it smooth and then its time to paint! We did the same as the shiplap, one coat of primer and then one coat of paint. Honestly this project was pretty easy to figure out! Here is the finished project! 






So what do you all think? I am so happy we decided to tackle this project. It adds loads of character to our new build and it did not cost much to do. Each window was probably around $10 each! I would say each wall with all the materials was under $100 each (not counting any tools you may have to buy).  A pretty great investment I would say! I can't wait to add more to my home in the future but for now I will enjoy what we have done so far. I hope this helps encourage you to jump in and try new things in your own home! Let me know how it goes and chat with my on Instagram or Facebook.






Labels: , ,

35 36 37 38